This new and beautifully illustrated edition of ‘Romeo and Juliet’ includes the complete text of the play with detailed notes to help students to understand themes, words, character development and more. This new edition has been designed specifically to meet the needs of the New Junior Cycle and it contains striking photographs from various productions of this much-loved play.
Each scene is accompanied by:
- Introductory plot summary
- Study questions
- Key points and useful quotes
- A timeline to illustrate the progress of the action.
A special section is devoted to:
- Exploration of major themes and context
- Detailed analysis of plot
- In-depth character and relationship analysis
- Exam tips.
The book also includes:
- Overall summary and a revision quiz at the end of each act
- Examination-based questions, carefully graded for Higher and Ordinary Level
- Guidelines on answering examination questions
- Model answers to questions
- Useful diagrams which make clear the relationships between characters
- Assignments to encourage class participation.
Offers an active approach to Shakespeare treating ‘Romeo and Juliet’ not merely as a text, but as a play to be performed, encouraging students to become part of Shakespeare’s imaginative world.
Up-to-date commentary sections were written with a view to enable students to appreciate ‘Romeo and Juliet’ as a play with a contemporary feel.
Edited with notes and guidelines by Patrick Murray.